Friday, May 30, 2014

Days of Future Past, Passed w/Flying Colors




Spoilers Abound:

If only I could transport my consciousness backwards through time to visit my nascent comic-obsessed self at age 12 and whisper, “it is 2014 and I just stepped out of a movie where Warpath and Blink fought Sentinels while Wolverine and Quicksilver helped bust Magneto out of his Pentagon jail and OH MY GOD EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE OKAY LITTLE ALEX!!” We have arrived at the 7th installment (7th!) of what was, as recently as 5 years ago, feared to be a floundering franchise until Matthew Vaughn stepped on the scene and wonderfully mind-wiped the sting of The Last Stand from our collective consciousness. Three years later, working from a story co-written by Vaughn, a returning Bryan Singer more than just cleared a bad taste from our mouths, they straight-up said: “That shit literally does not exist anymore.” And the people rejoiced, for it was good.
                The film is not without its problems, sure, but it delivers an immensely satisfying experience ripe with strong performances, mind-numbingly clever action sequences and a story that puts a bow on everything (yes, everything) that has come before. The much maligned lack of diversity in the cast is valid, however, as the focus is once again on our white male leads. Hopefully this franchise, with whomever it may be at the helm, will take advantage of the rich cast of characters associated with the team (Young Storm? Young Jean Grey? Pixie? Boom Boom? No, not Boom Boom.) It was refreshing to see a little person actor play a role that had nothing to do with him being a little person, but rather an actor doing a phenomenal job of bringing Walter Peck-level villainy. Does Kitty Pride have powers that make no sense? Does it make any sense that the future and past are happening parallel to each other? Did Halle Berry and other Singer-era vets show up to primarily cash a paycheck? Guys, you just have to give in. Give in to this merry mutant romp and you will be rewarded.
                Nothing could have prepared me for the well of emotions that washed over me during the last ten minutes of this film. Fourteen years ago I saw a team of X-Men on a movie screen for the first time that didn’t feel quite right, but I didn’t care because they were close enough. Now though, after several outings with mixed returns, there projected in front of me was exactly what I held in my hands and my imagination as that young comic book fan. Oh, be still my heart, all of the X-Men are living under the mansion roof on Graymalkin Lane where they are teachers to young mutants. I had a dream and you were there, and you were there and you were there….To me, my X-Men!

No comments:

Post a Comment